Learn to heal yourself
How to Heal Anxiety
Learning how to heal anxiety has been something I have always been interested in. I’ve mentioned it before, but I have anxiety myself. I know how it feels… The sudden panic… The racing heart.. Sweaty hands.. Wanting to curl up in a corner away from the world.
But this doesn’t stop me living the life I want to. And if you have anxiety too, please don’t let it stop you either!
Some of the best tools I’ve found to heal anxiety are the ones that get me out of my head and into my body: Yoga, breath work and my all-time favourite, mantra chanting. Being embodied helps reduce the mind-emotion roller coaster that comes with anxiousness.
Chanting, singing – these are powerful tools because:
- You need to fully inhabit your body to do them. Feeling down into your feet.
- You need to breathe deep enough to stabilise your voice and be present to how breath feels moves in your body
- You feel the vibrations of your voice in you; which increases bodily awareness
- You hear your voice; concentrating your mind on the sense of sound
- You focus your attention on the mantra you are chanting or singing; its meaning, how to pronounce it
It sounds simple, doesn’t it? Honestly, in my experience, it’s the simple things that are the most powerful.
An exercise for Healing Anxiety
Try it with me:
- Take a slow, deep breath all the way down to your feet.
- Take another deep breath, and softly sigh it out through your mouth.
- Now, place one hand upon your heart and feel this connection to yourself. Rest here for 2 slow breaths.
- Now, breathe down into your belly and chant one OM (AUM pronounced: AAAHHH – OOOOO – UMMMMMM)
- Pause to feel the echo in your body. Be present to the sensations.
If you wish to, repeat your OM 6 more times, always pausing afterwards to feel your body. Let it be a gentle, simple process.
It took me a while to accept this. We are so ingrained as a culture to focus on how hard things are. We share how we suffer with each other like a trophy. But I don’t think this helps us step into our true potential.